User installation migrated onto itself

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Feb 27 05:36:34 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 12:52 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> So I dug a little deeper and noticed that, at least on Mac, the first
> start of LO 3.5 (or later) migrates any existing user installation in
> ~/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/3 onto itself.

	Ho hum, migrating itself sounds like a bad idea I guess, particularly
since it will break subsequent migrations for 3.6 - we'll have to
change / version the MIGRATED stamp name in master I suppose.

> The migration happens only on the first start of LO 3.5, due to
> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=995a87e5cf63fe1626245b62fef4aa71fa02dc94>
> "disable multiple migrations via MIGRATED stamp file."  I do not
> understand what propblem exactly that is supposed to solve.

	That file was asked for by Mechtilde. IIRC she was very concerned that
without tons of testing of the migration paths we can easily get into
situations where migration crashes as it starts, or produces a
non-working install; and then users have to be instructed to remove not
only their new user directory, but every old one too.

	So - this turns the flow into "it broke, fair enough, so just remove
your settings directory and re-run and all will be well" - instead of
some traumatised finding of versioned settings directories. I am
assuming here that we don't need to do migrations inside a major
version, ie. the version is encoded in the path.

> And would it not be better anyway to only migrate an old user
> installation if the new user installation does not yet exist ?

	The MIGRATED stamp is to avoid doing the migration more than once ever
- it is a stamp file so a user can see it and remove it if they want to
re-do that.

	HTH,

		Michael.