[Libreoffice] UI disaster on Windows: soffice -h

Fridrich Strba fridrich.strba at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Jan 9 03:35:25 PST 2012

Hello,

On 07/01/12 23:56, Andras Timar wrote:
> I've just found this feature, soffice -h displays a dialog box on
> Windows with some help text.
> Problems:
> 1. Dialog is not localisable. Help text comes from const char arrays
> in desktop/source/app/cmdlinehelp.cxx
> 2. Help text is clipped, there is not enough room on the dialog.
> 3. If I resized the dialog, it would not fit on a 1024x768 screen.
> I wonder, if we could fix this before UI freeze on Monday. I need your
> input regarding how to present this information to users.

OK, since this thread was already answered by many and I basically agree
with Tor, I will only point out one alternative:

Microsoft tools that can be called from command-line and that are not
console applications sometimes after being called as foo.exe /? give a
MsgBox of command-line options. Try msiexec.exe /?

Although, the attachconsole foo that Tor mentioned is really a good
thing to do and we do it in many Gnome applications for windows.

Cheers

Fridrich