[Libreoffice] Check for updates uses keep-alive / impacts the server (opengrok, tinderbox..)

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:22:22 PST 2012

Hi Thorsten, *,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Thorsten Behrens
<thb at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
>> sorry for coming late to the discussion... anyway, I don't think it
>> makes much sense to let users decide at what interval to check for
>> updates.
>>
> I agree, at least to the point that it's one more of those options
> where the cost does outweigh the benefit. Let's keep it in the xml
> config, though.

I disagree. You absolutely need the option toggle to disable the
check. And whether you have one checkbox or one checkbox and a couple
of radio buttons, there's not really any difference in my eyes.
It is on its own tabpage. So when you argue with "keeping options
simple" you imply that you would move that "enable/disable automatic
check for updates" control to another tab. And that would not be an
improvement in my eyes.

and regarding distributing the requests:
I don't see any need for it either. Corporate environments where are
large number of users will start LO at around the same time will very
likely have the update check disabled (or point to their own server),
linux distributors will have it disabled, so remains private users and
small to tiny business users. Europe and America have the largest
userbase, and surely there will be a bias towards business hours in
those regions, but I don't see the need for any advanced scheduling
logic.
At least we should wait after 3.5.0 is released and the access logs
can prove me wrong :-)

ciao
Christian