[Libreoffice] [#fdo37740. REMARK]

ape os2sa at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 30 12:23:10 PST 2012

 Hi,
I have read a
"0001-fdo-37740-remove-duplicate-icons-from-soffice.bin-so.patch". It is
technically the correct solution, but it is not optimal solution.
A. "soffice.bin" file contains all the icons. Windows Explorer takes it from
there. Icons of this file (LibO-3.5.0rc1 and earlier) were used by program
LibreOffice only for interaction with WindowsDE. 10 two-page icons missing
for these purposes. The "soffice.bin" weight could be 85 kB. Icons necessary
for the Explorer, can not boot at Office start if them to allocate in
separate library of icons, for example, in a file "soffice.dll". Hence, the
minimum size of the total "soffice.exe+soffice.dll" can be 135 kB.
 B. The weight of a new file "soffice.bin" is 665 kB. The number of icons in
a file is only 14. The File size will increase, if the composition and
number of icons is expanded. (OpenOffice.org has transited this way already.
The number of icons has increased with 16 to 40 all for three years. Each
icon contains 10 images if it is the Windows-canonical.) The magnification
of weight of a file will lead to magnification of time of start. That is, we
will return to a problem again.
  For an example. I use library "soffice.dll", in which 40 icons. 37 icons
are used by the Explorer. The file weight soffice.bin (or soffice.exe) would
be 2-3 MB in this case.
 Therefore I consider that layout of all icons in a file "soffice.bin" is
not optimal decision:
 1. It complicates operation of designers of the project. The designer of
the project is forced to search for the compromise between weight of an icon
and image quality.
 2. It limits the possibility of improving the external visibility of
documents of various types as well as increasing the number of icons is not
desirable.
Serg.