Writing extension with the SDK

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 11:53:37 PDT 2012

hi Henri,

On 05/07/12 18:32, Henri Hebeisen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a student at Dublin City University and I am working on a project
> where I have to write an extension for LibreOffice. I would like to use
> the Java API to manipulate data from LibreOffice. Unfortunately, I can't
> find any information specific to Libre Office extension : all the online
> documentation is for OpenOffice. I have installed SDK and configured all
> the paths for Java JDK, gmake... But what to do next ?

the LibreOffice API is (with very few exceptions that nobody is likely
to use) compatible with OpenOffice.org, so most documentation such as
the OOo Development Guide apply to LibreOffice as well.

> I have followed steps in this tutorial
> (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/FirstSteps/First_Contact
> <http://wiki.services..openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/FirstSteps/First_Contact>),
> but of course, the Netbean's plugin for OpenOffice doesn't work with a
> LibreOffice installation, and the ant script provided in the tutorial is
> also configured for OpenOffice and doesn't work too. (I've tried to
> modify paths in the script in order to make it work, without any success).

hmm... perhaps nobody has adopted the Netbeans plugin to LO, and it
still contains hard-coded assumptions about OOo.  perhaps you could get
the source code for it and try to fix it to work with LO as well?  i
don't know if it is still maintained in any way...

Cedric, does your Eclipse plugin work with LO?

> So, I would like to know where I can find a basic example of a working
> extension for LibreOffice that could help me understand how we compile
> extensions using the SDK and Java.

there are various Java extensions in the LO repository, but all of these
are build using the LO build system which is not available to LO users.

iirc LanguageTool is a Java extension; Daniel, what is used to develop that?