Adding Extension for Experimental Thai Spelling

sungkhum sungkhum at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 08:08:19 PDT 2012

I hope no one minds if I "piggy-back" on this thread. Recently I contributed
to the ICU break iterator for Khmer and it was added to ICU 4.8 (I just
helped with the dictionary, another volunteer did the code). LibreOffice 3.6
added the updated ICU code and now uses the code to line-break Khmer even if
zero-width spaces have not been provided.

I have two questions: is there a way to have the LibreOffice spelling
checker (Hunspell) also recognize word-breaks using the ICU break iterator
for Khmer so that Cambodians no longer have to add zero-width spaces
manually (as it seems to work for Thai now?)? Currently, lines without
zero-width spaces are seen as one long word to the spelling checker in
LibreOffice 3.6. But since the line-breaking is working, it would seem
breaking words for the spelling checker should also be able to work. Should
I submit a bug? How should I proceed?

Also, since many other programs do not incorporate ICU's code, is there a
way to make the line breaks "real" when a document is saved in another
format (such as a .doc?). And by "real" I mean that a zero-width space is
actually added to the text where a line-break should be. This also would
make LibreOffice a great tool for Cambodians, since most do not like to type
spaces between words (since the language traditionally doesn't have spaces),
but would then allow them to use their work with other programs without
having to manually type spaces between words.