gerrit: polishing web UI

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:27:43 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:14:32AM +0200, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> We will have to read and look at that page quite a bit. So real-estate
>> should not be wasted and quite frankly that 'new' white on bright
>> green color theme is maybe very visible but also hard on the eyes.
>
> I think we should not revolutionize the theming of gerrit. It is looking rather
> nice now and while we can have some evolutionary tweaks there, we shouldnt
> throw away what we have (esp. not for something which violates our own branding
> guidelines).

When I went offline the 'brading theming' was _not_ that white on
bright green stuff
and the layout of gerrit was functional and sparse.
having the main menu in tiny font in the middle of the screen is _not_
the gerrit theming
loosing most of the contrast in lists is _not_ the gerrit theming
So taking these change as 'something we have' that is somehow
enshrined as representing our 'branding guideline'
is a bit steep.
At this point I find the original Vanilla Gerrit theme much more
usable. I'm fine that there is efforts to 'mark the territory'
brand-wise... but ergonomic considerations should not take second
place to alleged eye-candy or 'branding'.

> Well, we will never find a theme that pleases all. So lets stop discussing this
> for now.

No this is not about taste, this is about USABILITY.
good contrast between alternate line in a long list is _not_ a fashion
statement.
good positioning of menu and other click-able item is _not_ a fashion statement.
efficient use of the screen real-eastate is _not_ a fashion statement.

Norbert