Mac OSX 3.5.5 installer background images offset

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu Jul 12 15:50:33 PDT 2012

Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> The problem is specific to OSX 10.7.4
> On my Snow Leopard server, the DMG opens an installer window that
> matches the size of the background images.

Yes. Apple in its infinite wisdom

a) does not document DS_Store format
b) seems to change it randomly between versions

I had quite some fun already re-positioning icons with our initial
LibO artwork; from that time, I have logged this howto:

(paraphrased from http://dx4.org/linux/modifydmg.html)

 * make r/w copy of .dmg: hdiutil convert LibO-3.4.4...dmg -format UDRW -o rw.dmg
 * find out current size: hdiutil resize -limits rw.dmg
 * resize with ~random extra sectors: hdiutil resize -sectors <sectors> rw.dmg
 * mount it: hdiutil attach rw.dmg
 * note that /Volumes/LibreOffice/.DS_Store is read-only, change it to
   rw via chmod in the terminal
 * tweak settings to heart's content:
   open View->View options in Finder for the LibO .dmg window
   double-click on the background image, in the then-opening file
   selector, select the LibreOffice volume
   - notice you don't see the hidden .background dir -
   - press Command-Shift-g do be able to select hidden dirs, manually
     enter ".background"
   - in the subdir, select the "background.png"
   - close setting dialog, close LibreOffice .dmg window
 * unmount: hdiutil detach rw.dmg
 * double-click on .dmg in Finder, it should now show the correct
   background image
 * copy out final .DS_Store

Tweak options to your heart's content (also move icons around), eject
volume to store things, re-mount - and steal the .DS_Store file from
it (see also https://wiki.mozilla.org/DS_Store_Easy_Way_to_Update)

NOTE: if you need to change/adapt the background image - make *sure*
it points to a subdir of the dmg - OSX does *not* automagically copy
stuff. To enter/select from hidden dirs in the finder file selector,
use Command-Shift-g

Make sure Mac really wrote out this file - sometimes it comes with
only read permissions on the dmg, or it's silently not written -
http://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/wiki/ModifyingTheDiskImage has
the tip to unmount dmg, then logout - for me, just rm-ing .DS_Store,
then changing stuff, and then waiting for it to reappear worked best.

It's most conveniently located here:
setup_native/source/mac/ooo/DS_Store

NOTE: Just in case your changes do not stick - *delete* the old
.DS_Store file before, something, with broken/inconsistent information
therein, OSX does not seem to save your changes.

NOTE2: In case OSX complains your dmg is full - just randomly remove
some files from the program dir.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten