gerrit for 3-6, LibreOffice gerrit bot & wrong Merged status

Ivan Timofeev timofeev.i.s at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:19:08 PDT 2012

Hi Bjoern, David

On 16.07.2012 00:53, David Ostrovsky wrote:

> just fine till now.
> Huh?! What is that for? it makes no sense for me to simultaneously
> submit to gerrit and to push directly to master (and thus bypass gerrit).
> Think about it: if your patch is going to be rejected or must be
> adjusted what is going on with your changes that already in master?
> Note 1: we are going to turn on the automatic patch verification
> machinery (build + test). What is if your patch doesn't even compile,
> introduces WaE, beaks unit tests?

It patches *.src files, our resource compiler builds these, so I am 100%
sure the patch doesn't break anything.
And I am quite sure it wont be rejected...

>> Since the gerrit team seems to be struck in the philosophical
>> question if a change is still the same on a different branch,

:)

> But, as you pointed out gerrit can not handle it currently anyway (*),
> why not to follow this simple workflow:
>
> *Either* to push the patch directly to the master and send a mail to ML
> with cgit link and ask for review -- my i add not recommended here? ;-) --,
> *or* to submit it only to gerrit (master or specific branch), wait for
> verification and once approved and merged,
> push it to all other branches

It is inconsistent, I mean if master is free-pushable (the only
requirement is: no build breaks), it must remain so, regardless of the
workflow a whimmy developer decided to use at the moment.

Regards,
Ivan