[HELP] fdo#51239 how to debug "it is slow"

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Tue Jul 17 10:21:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:10:09PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 of July 2012, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> I'd appreciate some help on fdo#51239 which is of the form "doing this
>> is horribly slow"; how can I profile LibO, i.e. find out where it
>> spends all its time; if it spends a lot of time in function FOO, can I
>> also get information on what the call stack looks like "most of the
>> time"?

>  Have a look at Callgrind (http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/cl-manual.html).

Thanks for the pointer; it did not handle Java code in a meaningful
way and it did not follow costs across threads, but it pointed me to
the C++ code calling the long-running Java code, which was started in
a fresh thread, but I successfully "guessed" what created this fresh
thread, and so I got started.

So the issue is resolved in 3.6 & master; 3.5 will take more effort to
backport.

--
Lionel