git branch audit ...

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 10:15:17 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 05:51:44PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> 	As I created a new git branch for some new work, I was interested to
> see a rather huge list of malingering branches out there. Even after a:
>
> 	git remote prune origin
>
> 	I get quite a lot of fluff that seems obsolete. I'd like to remove some
> of these branches if they've been merged.

Yes, if that is how we are doing it. I see many of these branches are
mine (most of origin/feature/gbuild_*)... I apologize to leave them
hanging around.

> * obsolete or already merged branches...
>   origin/feature/kill-set_soenv   # set_soenv seems to be dead (?)

Yes, that was the branch where Norbert killed it.

> * unknown status:
>   origin/feature/gbuild_a11y
>   origin/feature/gbuild_components
>   origin/feature/gbuild_conversions
>   origin/feature/gbuild_extensions
>   origin/feature/gbuild_java
>   origin/feature/gbuild_merge
>   origin/feature/gbuild_mkdir
>   origin/feature/gbuild_scp2
>   origin/feature/gbuild_sdext
>   origin/feature/gbuild_shell
>   origin/feature/gbuild_testtools

These have all been merged. (Note that origin/feature/gbuild_help is an
exception. But it can be removed in a pitch, because I have not pushed
anything there yet.)

>   origin/feature/matrix-new-backend

This branch contains Kohei's newest work. He announced it a few days
ago.

>   origin/feature/submodules

I think this branch contains Norbert's git submodule work, so it is
still valid.

D.