Modern font features, hacky patch

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Jul 21 09:20:23 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 03:08:20AM +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 03:27:39PM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 16:13 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > > If there is interest in this, I can try implementing optional HarfBuzz
> > > support next to ICU so we can experiment more with this (though I'm not
> > > the best person to do this, but I can try).
> >
> > Can't hurt to give it a go anyway. Even epic failure can point the next
> > person in the right way to go. Yeah lacking Indic shaping would be a
> > problem for right now.
>
> Indic scripts are supported now (git master, not released yet), and
> given HarfBuzz track record, it should even be better than ICU layout
> engine which is essentially put on ventilator (pun intended), so now is
> a good time to experiment, but I didn't manage to try doing it yet.

Here is a very crude, WIP patch. It adds --enable-harfbuzz configure
option, plus some (very broken) harfbuzz layout code, but I can't get
the ENABLE_HARFBUZZ to propagate in and thus can't do any testing
because the code is never compiled. I appreciate any insights on how to
get this to work.

Regards,
 Khaled