does the windows build require VC10 now?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 03:35:25 PDT 2012

On 24/07/12 11:13, Noel Grandin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm getting this error on my windows test box (which I'm trying to get
> building again)
>
> :
> : ***************************************************************
> : ERROR: msm file not found: Microsoft_VC100_CRT_x86.msm !
> : in function: merge_mergemodules_into_msi_database
> : *******************
>

> I have visual studio 2008 installed.

no, the only way to build on windows that works is still the old MSVC2008.

we decided to bundle the redistributable for MSVC2010 because otherwise
dynamically loading the jvm.dll from Oracle JRE 7 fails if the
redistributable for MSVC2010 is not installed in the system, which the
Oracle JRE 7 does not do.  (i've also filed a bug against the JRE
because they really should fix that, but who knows how long that takes)

iirc somebody fixed that later so it is only bundled optinoally, i.e. if
it's actually available on the system; but apparently that doesn't work
for you?  this commit: 238eba337cedda17a9ed1ce7e91755c66446195a