Adding bibisect repository support to tinbuild2

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:01:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 21/07/12 23:12, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> So... I committed you patch, and then refactored it 'a bit'
>>
>> First I separated the operation in 3 differents operations:
>>
>> 1/ the need to make the install: I added in Makefile.top a new
>> install-tb target that avoid the 'rebuilding' for nothing, and just do
>>  make dev-install (except that on linux it does not use the 'link to
>> solver' abilities, to not screw up the cp -R later)
>
> is a new make target substantially duplicating an existing one really
> necessary?  there is a configure option --disable-linkoo to have a
> solver installation without symlinks, couldn't the tinderboxes that do
> bibisect just set that?

1/ this step is purely for the mechanic of the tinderbox it is not
intended to test any thing specific... so the less susceptible the
tinderboxes are to the whim of the day, the better.
2/ I think the cost to not to high to keep the tb setup 'simple'...
iow a 'it just just work'. the way it is now, all you have to do to
start a bibisect repo is to create an empty repo, create a dummy
commit, set the ARTIFACTDIR variable in the config file of the tb and
use -x when running it. I prefer to avoid depending on configure
option that may or may not be there tomorrow , that may or may not
mean the same thing tomorrow, as much as I can.
3/ all that being said... if you feel strongly about it I can learn to
live with --disable-linkoo

Norbert