Adding bibisect repository support to tinbuild2

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 15:09:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 25/07/12 23:35, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> the problem with the duplication is that the next time somebody fixes a
>>> problem with the "dev-install" target they will probably forget to fix
>>> the "install-tb" target as well, and if the problem affects tinderboxes
>>> as well then they will remain broken.  whether that is more likely, or
>>> whether a change to --disable-linkoo is more likely, is of course
>>> speculative.
>>
>> True...
>> There is one aspect we missed... install-tb does _not_ depend on the
>> 'build' target (and no -o build did not prevent the whole shebang to
>> be built)
>
> yes, the problem is that make does not propagate some options like -W
> and -o to sub-makes, and the top-level Makefile only handles rebuilding
> configure; the workaround is to invoke it like this:
>
> make -f Makefile.top dev-install -o build

Thanks, good to know... but let me ask you then:
what is more likely:
- that someone changed the way that dev-install works in the Makefile
and missed install-tb in the same make file a bit below...
or
- that someone change how the Makefile recursion thingy works and
forget to update bin/tinbuild_phases.sh (*) in the contrib/buildbot
repo ?

:-D

Norbert