Liberation Fonts updated to 2.0

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 01:24:57 PDT 2012

I've updated our Liberation fonts to the new 2.0 version. The 2.0
version are basically rebased on the Chromeos/Croscore fonts and are
under the OFL instead of the GPL+exception license of the 1.X series.

The Liberation fonts 1.X and ChromeOS/Croscore fonts both originate from
the same designer[s] (IIUC) and the glyph-points they shared have
identical designs, except that the ChromeOS/Croscore ones had a lot more
glyphs.

The point of these fonts is that they are metrically equivalent to Times
New Roman, Arial and Courier.

With the improved coverage, it might be the case that it makes sense to
put the Liberation Fonts as an option for default fonts for more
languages in VCL.xcu.

The Liberation-*-Narrow 1.X fonts however did not have ChromeOS/Croscore
equivalents, and were not donated by Red Hat, but by Sun Microsystems.
So those font faces currently remain under the GPL+exception and are not
part of the OFL Liberation Fonts 2.0.

Which is a long-winded way to document that it's not an error that we
have both
liberation-fonts-ttf-1.07.1.tar.gz
liberation-fonts-ttf-2.00.0.tar.gz
in our download list. We retain the 1.07.1 version and extract just the
Narrow faces from that and extract the full set of fonts of the 2.00.0
package.

C.

http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Features/Liberation_Fonts_2