Solarmutex Deadlock when Closing Calc which contains functions with XVolatileResult return values

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 04:15:50 PDT 2012

Hi anwen,

On Friday, 2012-07-27 08:43:25 -0700, anwen wrote:

> The deadlock scenario is that the spreadsheet called the functions many
> times and was showing dynamical financial data. Then I closed the
> spreadsheet window. The window quit immediately, but the soffice.bin and
> soffice.exe were still in task manager. I had to kill these processes
> manually. From the log file, I saw that main thread hung at destruction
> process, trying to close the second thread, and the second thread hang at
> Reference<XResultLisenter> -> modified(), trying to update the spreadsheet.

This sounds like the actual culprit. The result listener should not try
to update if the document is in destruction. Actually the listeners are
detroyed during document close, but it seems this is a race condition
and a modified() is fired in between. If it detected that situation it
wouldn't need to lock SolarMutex but could bail out early instead.

Could you please submit a bug for this and assign it to me?

Thanks
  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD