[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sun Jun 3 07:51:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Stefan Knorr (Astron) schrieb:
[..]
> As for the paper size/page size difference, I would just want to +1
> Björn in that it's a misfeature.

No, I thing not. With the new printer dialog we have n-up and brochure
printing not only for Writer but for Calc, Draw and Impress too.

The page preview should show, what you have designed on your page and
the print preview should show, what will be really printed with the
specific print settings, on a specific printer.

  Another +1 to Björn for suggesting
> that a fullscreen preview mode be added to the Print window.

An enlargeable print preview would be helpful. I think not, that a
fullscreen mode is useful.

> The most useful thing about the Page Preview indeed seems to be
> modifying margins.

And the fact, that repeating rows and columns are shown. They are
neither shown in normal view nor in page break view.

  But that is only useful for Calc users,

What is useful in the page preview, depends on the module. But the page
view in Writer needs some rework. Former it contained the n-up printing.
But that is moved to printer dialog. And the page view had been adapted
only roughly. You should compare the old Writer page view before
printerpullpages with its design now.

  since in
> every other application it is trivial to turn on rulers in the main
> view/rulers are by default turned on in the main view.

?? I have not thought, that showing/heading rulers is the purpose of
page preview. One of the purpose of page view in Writer had been the
n-up printing. Now it still gives a quick view without setting back each
of the view settings like 'Field shading', 'Hidden paragraphs', or
'Non-printing characters' individually.

  For the
> uninitiated, it might also be somewhat counterintuitive to set the
> page margins in the Page/Print Preview.

That feature is only in Calc and it is very useful there. It allows very
quickly adjusting the margins and columns width, so that you get a
column onto the page, which missed it by a small amount. And you can see
immediately the effects of scaling, which is not possible in normal or
page break view and not in the page format dialog.

@Jean-Francois: The slider in Calc page view toolbar is not a zoom, but
the same scale that can be set in page format. The + and - icons control
the zoom. They can indeed be removed, because we have them now in the
status bar.

> As for 3.6, I do agree with Kohei that it probably would be best to
> just hide the menu and Standard toolbar looking at how expensive
> adding a fullscreen mode to Print would be.

A fullscreen mode in printer dialog is not a compensation of the page view.

I agree, that printing and saving in page view is not necessary. Falling
back into normal view when the user tries to print or save would be ok
for me. The special case n-up printing from Writer page view had been
removed with implementing printerpullpages.

Kind regards
Regina