1.6Gb of workdir/.../Dep - thoughts ...

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jun 4 06:56:41 PDT 2012

On Friday 01 of June 2012, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	And some thoughts on improving this; currently we add a ton of deps for
> packages that are really internal and typically change en-masse or not
> at all.
>
> 	eg. 'boost' - it is installed, and then ~never changes again - people
> don't edit a single boost header and expect a dependency clean
> re-compile.
> 	IMHO we could - without significant loss of functionality reduce all
> those deps to a single stamp file (which we prolly install anyway) in
> the solver. Should be ~trivial to elide in our dep-re-writing anyway,
> save > 300Mb of space etc.
>
> 	Should just be a few lines in solenv/bin/concat-deps.c
>
> 	My question would be: do we want to continue to make 'over precise
> deps' at this large computational, space and build performance cost
> possible ?

 I think there are several ways of reducing the size of .d files that are
safer:

- a significant part of .d content is the LO build directory - defining that
one and some other common paths (solver, workdir) and sed /path/define/
should save quite some space (50% or possibly even more)

- a significant part of .d content is the depend-on-nothing deps created
by -MP , if those would be merged into one dedicated .d file that'd save a
lot of space as well; not sure if this is easily doable though

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz