Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:22:52 PDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 10:13 PM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 19:04 +0200, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
>> → reply to list, too
>>
>> Hi Kohei,
>>
>>> I noticed that we actually allow saving and loading of document in print
>>> preview mode.  But to me that feels very odd.
>>
>> What sticks out as most odd to me is that our print preview is so
>> incredibly cluttered (menu bar + 2 toolbars), whereas e.g. in Firefox
>> it is very focused (just a toolbar).
>> So, yes, I do agree with this, in general, just the Print Preview
>> toolbar should be enough.
>
> Actually (thinking about this again), given the way our current preview
> window is implemented, this (i.e. remove the menu bar and the top tool
> bar, and only leave the preview toolbar and disable a bunch of other
> things) is probably the best we can offer.  Anything else we try to do
> would end up causing lots of odd behaviors in many corners, such as bug
> fdo#48348.

Some updates.

For 3.6, I will just disable a bunch of commands including the file open
and save, intercept the window close event so that clicking the 'x'
button on the title bar ends the preview and moves back to the main Calc
window, and disable the close command to avoid closing the window via
File - Close and Ctrl-W.  The reason for disabling the close commands
rather than intercepting them and translating them to just end the
preview mode is because it's technically very difficult to do so because
of the way we end the preview shell.  I won't go into the detail here.

Also, for 3.6, I'll leave the menu bar and the tool bars alone, because
(again), it won't be easy to change this without doing massive rework.

Now, I'm almost done, except for the disabling of the close commands.
Normally, we can disable commands by simply handling their respective
state handler callbacks, but for the close commands (i.e.
".uno:CloseDoc" and ".uno:CloseWin") it's not that simple.  This is
because we need to show the start center pane when the last app window
closes.  The framework code handles these commands in a special way.
And currently, the Close commands are always enabled no matter what, and
there is no systematic way to disable them (that I know of).

I'm still trying to figure out how to optionally disable them in a clean
way, but I may not be able to do this before I leave for my vacation.
So, I might just push what I've done so far, and tackle the issue of
disabling the Close commands later.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc