calc: function WEEKNUM seems not to conform to ODFF1.2

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 15:10:22 PDT 2012

Hi Winfried,

On Friday, 2012-06-01 10:07:00 +0200, Winfried Donkers wrote:

> I would like to change the behaviour of function WEEKNUM to conform to
> ODFF1.2 (core/tools/source/datetime/tdate.cxx, Date::GetWeekOfYear(..)
> allows this), but before enter a bug and start working on it, I would
> like to hear if there are reasons to keep WEEKNUM as it is (and change
> the documentation to state that the function differs from ODFF1.2).

The reason would be exsiting documents that already use a Mode value !=1
and assume that Monday would be used. I think some may pass 0 instead of
2 as argument for this case, as the result of a boolean evaluation. We
might get away with strictly complying with ODFF and generate an error
for constraint cases if prominently mentioned in release notes that
WEEKNUM changed. Users will have to change formulas then and we get
angry mails and bug reports ;-)

The other possibility would be to introduce an additional ISOWEEKNUM
function and map the existing WEEKNUM to ISOWEEKNUM upon reading if and
only if the Mode argument is literal and matches the constraints.
Writing WEEKNUM then would have to be done as ORG.LIBREOFFICE.WEEKNUM,
that couldn't be read by older versions so before actually writing that
name at least 2 minor releases must be able to read it already. And of
course other ODF consumers would not be able to read it. So quite more
complicated than the first solution and introducing interoperability
problems.

Therefor I'd go with strict ODFF implementation.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD