Cleaning bug list

julien2412 serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 8 07:58:36 PDT 2012

Joel Madero-2 wrote

> If someone asked "is this reproducible in the latest release", but didn't
> say anything else as to if they themselves had tried to reproduce it. I
> would mark as NEEDINFO. I think that this is a bad policy as we can't
> expect users to constantly come back when a new release is done and update
> their bug saying "still an issue".
> Joel

First thank you for your help on bug triaging !

About NEEDINFO, it depends on several things :
- if the bug has been reported on 3.5.0 whereas we're on 3.5.4 it can be
justified
- if the bug has been reported on 3.5.3 and you know that some work have
been done on 3.5.4 on this area, it can be useful to ask.
In both cases, it depends too if the bug is reproductible easily/quicky.
If a doc is attached and the bug is just :
- open the doc
- click on preview => fails
OK
if you have to :
- recreate a DB with tables
- queries,
- reports
- ...
it's on Mysql or Postgres so you must configure
and that the file can't be attached because data are confidential and can't
be purged, it's not the same.

In brief, I understand what you mean on this specific point but it depends
on the case.

About cleaning, I noticed 2 or 3 things (at least for crashes/freezes) which
help quite often :
- some LO specific extensions (I mean not out of the box extensions)
- a brand new LO profile (of course, they must retrieve in a backup the
custom settings) (any env)
- uninstall lo-menubar (Ubuntu, other ?)
- accessibility to disable (MacOs)
I think I already mentioned it but it seems to be still true.
So it could be useful to propose to check these points at the first step of
bug submitting (perhaps it already exists and I missed it)

For Windows bugs (crashes/freezes), I propose the "raw method" and sometimes
it worked :
- uninstall, clean registry with free tool, remove/backup LO profile,
install again.
Of course, it doesn't solve the root cause and I won't propose to quote this
on bug submitting. But when we can't reproduce the problem, I keep on
proposing it sometimes.

Anyway, really great to have some very useful help on this area :-)

Julien.