Contributions (Alfresco)

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Thu Jun 14 00:07:27 PDT 2012

Hello Sanket,

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 22:35 +0200, Sanket Sharma wrote:
> While looking for some documentation on Alfresco, I came across this
> wikipage ->
> http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Help_Wanted#LibreOffice_Alfresco_Implementation (The last on at the bottom of the page)

Well thanks for pointing to this wiki page at alfresco... I wasn't aware
of it.

> Which says that the LibreOffice project is looking for people with
> Alfresco knowledge to help them with their Alfresco implementation.
> While I may not be a pro, but I would love to contribute in any way I
> can. I have worked on other open source projects and have made
> contributions here and there.

That was true a while ago... but the project has started in between. 3.6
will support CMIS protocol to access files. The feature will still
remain experimental, but most of the code is already present.

What is already done:
  * Universal Content Provider for CMIS is almost complete
  * The internal file picker can allow pickup up CMIS files and folders.

> So, are you guys still looking for help with Alfresco? Can I help? if
> Yes, How do I get started?

If you're willing to help there are still things to do in that area,
like:
  * Implement SOAP binding for libcmis
  * Integrate checkout / checkin in the UI
  * Show the versions of a document in the UI
  * Show / update the properties from the UI
  * Integrate CMIS access in Gnome, KDE, Windows, MacOS (others?) native
file pickers.
  * Push David Nelson to have a proper installation of Alfresco on
LibreOffice side to get access to the CMIS bindings.

I hope this didn't scare you. If you want to start on that topic, you
can have a look at libcmis [0], the CMIS UCP code [1] and the internal
file picker code [2].

[0] http://sf.net/p/libcmis/
[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/ucb/source/ucp/cmis/
[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/fpicker/source/office/