[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Tue Jun 19 02:54:25 PDT 2012

Hi Bjoern,

On 2012-06-19 at 11:30 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

> > >  http://sweetshark.livejournal.com/13298.html
> > >
> > > gerrit is documented and ready to go. Please use it for code review as much as
> > > possible now as it simplifies things a lot over manual patch fiddling on
> > > mailing lists.
> >
> > Can you please write down step by step commands for those who do the
> > manual patch fiddling on the ML how the new workflow is supposed to look
> > like?  Ie. how does it differ to the current
> >
> > [click save as in the mailer]
> > git am ~/patches/0001-<hit-tab>
> > git log -p -1
> > [build if necessary]
> > git push
> > rm ~/patches/0001-<hit-tab>
> >
> > ?
>
> Oehm, see the links to the wiki in the blog post?

If you answer was that the new workflow would be:

- click a link in a mail from gerrit
  - that will open the syntax-highlighted cgit-like patch in the
    browser, on a page with a big [Push it!] button + space to write the
    "Thank you" message
- I write the "Thank you" message + hit the [Push it!] button

I would be happy.  But is it going to be so?  So far the best I've got
from gerrit was clicking [Diff all unified], that opened one browser
window per file (ugh!), with more clicking to actually do the review.

Maybe the command line interface will be easier to use, but

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/gerrit/PatchReview

did not convince me that it "simplifies things a lot over manual patch
fiddling" - described in my quoted mail.  So I still hope in some better
description.

Thank you,
Kendy