gerrit for release branches (bots ftw?)

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Jun 19 10:57:30 PDT 2012

Bjoern Michaelsen píše v Po 18. 06. 2012 v 15:27 +0200:
> submitter:
> - find cgit link
> - write to mailing list with cgit link asking for review
>
> reviewer:
> - check out the release branch
> - cherrypick commit on release branch by exctracting the commit-id from the cgit link
> - review the commit
> - push commit on the release branch
> - mail to list that the stuff is pushed
>
> using gerrit its a bit simpler for the reviewer:
> - check out the release branch
> - gerrit-cherry-pick the commit
> - push the commit to the release branch (gerrit will take care of notifying the submitter
>
> but the submitter has a bit more to do:
> - check out the release branch
> - cherry-pick the commit
> - push to refs/for/libreoffice-3-5

One more idea. This is not easy to compare. I wonder if you could create
a table when you will compare the basic operations side by side. I mean
something like https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnCrashCourse

For example:

1. Commit local change to master:

current:                        gerrit:
git commit -a                   ???
git pull -r
git push

2. Approve patch from new contributor:

current:

# save patch to disk            gerrit:
git am p.patch                  ???
make
git pull -r
git push

3. Send patch for review into branch 3-5, 3-5-5

current:                                          gerrit:
# find URL in cgit or do git format-patch         ???
# write mail

It would be great if you could write this into wiki. IMHO, it would be
very useful documentation. I am sure that there will be more scenarios
that will need explanation, e.g.:

	+ solving build failures
	+ solving conflicts when pushing into real master
	+ what to do if cherry-pick conflicts
	+ building on more platforms (big win for gerrit)

Best Regards,
Petr