[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 05:11:31 PDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 09:32 PM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 19.06.2012 19:24, Petr Mladek wrote:
>> Sounds good but how many people would know about the comments? How hard
>> would be to find them?
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/179/4/
> (may be you need to login into gerrit with your openId)
> You can see it immediatelly: if and how much and for wich file exactly.
>
> For me this is one of the most valuable features of gerrit: inline
> comments.
> On comment column from 17 files Michael has commented in 5 files.
> This is already really good, isnt't? But it going to be even better:
> the submitter can respond (and he surely will, if he doesn't understand
> what the reviewer meant):
> in the context of this file/line.

Still, this removes the comments from many people's (potential) sight.
The IMO big advantage of the "everything on a single mailing list"
approach is that everybody is forced ;) to see everything (modulo
information overload), so that e.g. a comment given on one contributor's
patch is picked up "by osmosis" by other contributors too (so one would
hope).

I know there is no golden road to spreading information most
effectively, but I personally tend to prefer spreading/consuming too
widely over too narrowly.

> I got one question with gerrit so far:
> how can other people contribute code snippet into foreign gerrit patch
> (so called extend it)?
> During my work on gbuildi'fication of pyuno module Stefan helped me with
> some scp2, Windows and Mac OS X specific stuff.
> But he can not put a change set into my gerrit patch.
> So he created a couple of patches and sent it to ML, I applied the
> patches and pushed the next iteration to gerrit.

To be honest, the main reason I just dumped my changes onto the ML is
that I couldn't get comfortable with the gerrit web UI.  But hopefully
the command line (which I haven't started to use yet) will suite me
better...

Stephan