[GSOC] Weekly report

Rafael Dominguez venccsralph at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:36:47 PDT 2012

This week i ported the drawing code from the vcl API to use the
drawinglayer one, refactored the ThumbnailView class into a more general
purpose one,
making it possible to customize it if needed by a subclass, after that i
created two subclasses, one for displaying the templates folders and
another one for displaying
the folder overlay (the thumbnail of document templates).

Worked on the Selecting actions, the intended use is:

"To select a template using a mouse, click within the checkbox that appears
on hover. Clicking the checkbox of another template causes it to be added
to the selection. To unselect a template, click its checkbox again. To
select a template using a finger, long-tap on a template.

Alternatively, the user may push the "Selection mode" button on the right
of the tab bar. Under selection mode, the user can simply click/tap a
template's thumbnail or title to select it. To exit selection mode, the
user can click/tap the "Selection mode" button again."

At the moment the only thing not implemented of that is clicking on the
thumbnail when you dont have the selection mode active.

About the folder overlay, the progress has been, displaying the templates
thumbnails and names when you double click a folder, it can be close by
clicking outside of the overlay or clicking on the close icon in the top
right.

And last but not less important i added support for filtering results
depending on the selected filter function you provide something similar is
going to be done for sorting so later we can just work on creating the sort
functions.

My next todo in the list is work in fetching the document properties like
Author, Creation date, etc. to be able to filter documents/templates
properly and later use the same info to search or sort the templates as
desired by the user and add the action toolbar to organize templates, so we
can start supporting actions like rename folders, templates, move them
around ,delete them, import etc.

Current items that needs to be fixed:

   - Only display text in the items drawing area, if its bigger truncate
   it.

   - Better handling of different thumbnails size (my idea is maybe set a
   max size of thumbnail allowed and if its bigger just fit it to the size),
   for folders maybe we want to render more than 2 thumbnails???

   - In the folder overlay with white background you cant see properly when
   a thumbnails starts or ends, probably needs to add a black border around
   the thumbnail.

   - Improve position and layout of widgets in the dialog.

One thing i think its important to establish is when loading
folders/templates do we load all the data in there just once and have it on
memory or load it when we need it like when opening a folder to display its
templates and then release it when we close it?? At the moment im using the
2nd approach but it could be problematic if we got too many templates and
folders.