Precompiled headers?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jun 20 06:30:29 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 03:19:53PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I know that PCH builds can break non-PCH (because of missing required
> #includes), but how can it break the other way around, given that PCH is some
> kind of extra? The only thing I'm aware of is MSVC requiring explicit
> #include of the PCH header everywhere (and people break build regularly
> because generic Unix/Windows differences, ancient gcc on MacOSX, not
> using --enable-gdbutil, and other reasons that I'd expect to be more likely
> to happen).

Conflicting defines for example. Although a lot of pain potential has been
removed with removetooltypes there.

>  Given that PCH is primarily for Windows, life already does suck for those
> people. And I think we already have tinderboxes capable of checking this in
> reasonable time, so I'd consider this covered.

If you want to work on that go for it. The only way to find out how much
trouble it is is doing it. However, I expect few people on linux to care at all
about this, so maintaining this will stick with you, I guess. Choose your
poison carefully. ;)

Best,

Bjoern