Precompiled headers?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 07:12:35 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 20 of June 2012, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> >[...] PCH with
> > MSVC avoid the performance hit of using many -I options (adding -I for
> > each <module>/inc adds 25% time for whatever reason, but only without
> > PCH)
>
> ahh, so that is _not_ a myth. Thanks for the data point.

 Don't forget the point that PCH negates it :). If it turns out that PCH on
Windows is actually feasible now, I wouldn't consider that a blocker.

> PS: what is the perf impact if any on GCC to use the pch include
> layout (that is even the pch feature, but over-including headers)
> If that overhead is not prohibitive then we could use that way of
> doing include _always_... and therefore the pch layout would be
> maintained 'naturally'.

 It about doubles the time for building xmloff (assuming I understood
correctly that you meant using PCH include layout without GCC's PCH support
activated).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz