[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

David Ostrovsky david.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Wed Jun 20 13:27:49 PDT 2012

On 20.06.2012 14:11, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 09:32 PM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>> On 19.06.2012 19:24, Petr Mladek wrote:
>>> Sounds good but how many people would know about the comments? How hard
>>> would be to find them?
>> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/179/4/
>> (may be you need to login into gerrit with your openId)
>> You can see it immediatelly: if and how much and for wich file exactly.
>>
>> For me this is one of the most valuable features of gerrit: inline
>> comments.
>> On comment column from 17 files Michael has commented in 5 files.
>> This is already really good, isnt't? But it going to be even better:
>> the submitter can respond (and he surely will, if he doesn't understand
>> what the reviewer meant):
>> in the context of this file/line.
>
> Still, this removes the comments from many people's (potential) sight.
> The IMO big advantage of the "everything on a single mailing list"
> approach is that everybody is forced ;) to see everything (modulo
> information overload), so that e.g. a comment given on one
> contributor's patch is picked up "by osmosis" by other contributors
> too (so one would hope).
>
> I know there is no golden road to spreading information most
> effectively, but I personally tend to prefer spreading/consuming too
> widely over too narrowly.
>
>> I got one question with gerrit so far:
>> how can other people contribute code snippet into foreign gerrit patch
>> (so called extend it)?
>> During my work on gbuildi'fication of pyuno module Stefan helped me with
>> some scp2, Windows and Mac OS X specific stuff.
>> But he can not put a change set into my gerrit patch.
>> So he created a couple of patches and sent it to ML, I applied the
>> patches and pushed the next iteration to gerrit.
>
> To be honest, the main reason I just dumped my changes onto the ML is
> that I couldn't get comfortable with the gerrit web UI.  But hopefully
> the command line (which I haven't started to use yet) will suite me
> better...

May be I'm missing something obvious here, but how would it change the
things if you would use command line instead of web UI?
AFAIKs it can not be solved with gerrit: only i can change my gerrit
patch/change.
The only way i can think of: you would have to create your own gerrit
patch and make it depends on my.
But then tinderboxes must know, that these two patches *must* be chained
together to be successfully verified.

This flow can be trivially simulated with native git command with
patches: i will send you an almoust ready patch and would ask:
Could you please take care of scp2 and Mac OS X specific stuff in my patch?

You would just do:
git am # my patch
fix some stuff:
git -am commit ...
make && make dev-install
and then you would push my and your changes *together*.

Note: master is green all the time (!), you commited your changes under
your own user (!) and i do not have to mess around with scp2 and friends ;-)
As a casual contributor with small free time window i'm looking for a
solution for this flow with gerrit.

Regards
David