[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jun 20 13:46:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:47:48PM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> However, our current setup *requires* an OpenID; is it an option to
> make that optional (and allow people to e.g. use a "classic"
> username+password for the web interface)?

no.

> People like that (yes, I'm one of them) will balk at the requirement
> of giving a third party (and anybody able to twist their arm... like
> the surveillance agencies of governments) unlimited power to
> impersonate them (to websites that use OpenID). So they'll want to run
> their own OpenID end points;

But having a third party that is as trustworthy as TDF shouldnt be too hard as
there are already lots and lots of OpenID providers. And if you are paranoid
you would use your OpenID account just for one purpose -- that will give you
enough plausible deniability.

>  - local-openid looks like a godsend, but gerrit won't interoperate
>    with it; I now patched it (days and hours of efforts...), so
>    hopefully it will become a good solution soon :)

That sounds great for those who care about this ;)

> My point is basically that it is too much of an investment for a
> casual contributor... If we could make that easier by allowing plain
> username+password (or exporting bugzilla accounts over OpenID? I guess
> that would be *more* work), I feel it would lower the barrier to entry
> to gerrit.

I think you are part of a very, very rare demographic there (no wordpress, no
google, no launchpad, no yahoo, no blogger, no myspace, no flickr) -- we
vaguely considered running a TDF OpenID provider in the distant future, but so
shied away from that for the nontrivial cost (security is hard to get right) --
your investigation of local-openid made that somewhat more of an option, but I
would wait until a second guy (in addition to you) considers this vital -- then
we can think about using your experience with local-openid (and maybe
explicitly limit that openid to only TDF services on request). But first lets
see if there is actually somebody else caring for this.

Best,

Bjoern