[REVIEW 3-5][REVIEW 3-6] fdo#47636 font fallback performance regression

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 08:20:04 PDT 2012

So 8c023fd645c8b83637ffcde4055886b2e4f94393 should fix a performance
regression with font fallback under fontconfig using platforms when a
font is missing.

This may be a duplicate of MAB fdo#44719. Fontconfig is fairly slow on
finding a replacement font so proposed solution is to cache the results.

We used to cache the results, but we cached only on missing fontname ->
replacement fontname in the past which means we would run into a range
of other problems e.g. fontconfig can suggest as a replacement for an
upright font the *italic* face of an existing font and other
combinations. fdo#41556

So new solution basically restores the cache, but refactors out the font
attributes we know about and use that as the thing to map rather than
just the name.

3.5 and 3.6 patches to fix merge conflicts attached

C.