[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Pierre-André Jacquod pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 21 10:08:46 PDT 2012

Hello,
well as free time contributor with commit access to current repository,
I followed this gerrit story. So not kind of surprise, but yeah, until
THIS mail and posts, was me very unclear what it would mean.

To say it, first I had a lot of doubt. Reading mails, entry in the wiki,
looking the web ans thinking, I now have the feeling this could be a
good move.

Just to say, I basically just really do not like the fact of having to
use openId, would prefer to have an account at fd.o. I did it really for
the LibO, a kind of forced to. And NO, I do NOT have any google, flickr,
facebook or other account. Do not trust them enough to put my data
there, so to use them as authentication.... But no choice (!) I kind of
understood. [+1 for / to Lionel thread]

I - sorry - do not want to read a lot gerrit documentation, I am here
already in my free time. So I raise some questions that are not clear
for me, that I did not saw in the wiki, based on my previous
experiences. Here some points:

[WORKFLOW]
1. I have been beaten back by tinderbox (Mac OS X hurt me well), fixing
some stupid point of my commits run after run. So would this workflow be
supported :
some patch done
I push to gerrit and let tinderbox run. In case of success I get ? a +1
of each tinderbox ? How do I know it passes with success.
Once tinderbox is successful, since my change is small or I am confident
with, I put a +2 to my patch, which means this will insert automatically
it to master. So I will be able to positive review my own patch ?

2. If I have several patches, that need to be together, how should I
proceed with pushing them together to gerrit ? (If I want to have three
patches in the same review ID from gerrit) ?

[ADMIN]
1. I followed the asked process of setting up an account, etc.. mailed
to Norbert so he can match my fd.o account to gerrit. Well, how may I
now see that I actually have / will have commit access to gerrit repo ?

2. When my ssh key expires, it is enough to just change it into my
gerrit account ?

3. May be a stupid remark, but why do not use this way (opening gerrit
account ) then to ask for license stuff ? You would have to ack to be
able to open account, or to load patches. This would ease, ensure the
process towards this goal ?

Thanks & Regards
Pierre-André