[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 03:48:00 PDT 2012

On 19/06/12 14:44, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> On 2012-06-19 at 07:23 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>
>>> Thanks Robert for doing that!  Please - is there any chance to use cgit
>>> instead, so that it is compatible / familiar with the freedesktop
>>> browsing?
>>
>> in theory it is... but gitweb was working out of the box....
>> Is there any significant difference ?
>
> Not that significant; I think the familiarity with what we have is the
> greatest plus.
>
> cgit is a bit better usable in the sense that you do not have to click
> that much there as in gitweb, and also looks better (not overwhelming
> you with possibilities you won't use anyway, the color bars to see how
> much has changed in the file, less distracting colors in diffs)
>
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=e16ac6937245977b7900c48a408be2c589f6a0a6;hp=951ed65898208a7597c813141ed160716708d348
>
> vs.
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e16ac6937245977b7900c48a408be2c589f6a0a6

the only difference seems to me the diffstat in the cgit page.

as far as i'm concerned they both have the same critical usability flaw:

the title of the page does not contain anything from the commit message,
which means that having 10 commits open as tabs in a single browser
window is a pretty awful experience.