using Windows in VM

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:56:20 PST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM, Cor Nouws <oolst at nouenoff.nl> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I have the idea that it might be useful to consider encouraging devs on
> Linux to use Windows in a VM.

I've tried a couple of time, without success, to get a build running on Windows.
The instructions are, to say the least, not clear. there is always a
piece missing or not where it wants it...
and it takes minutes at the beginning (when the failure is in autogen)
and hours later to find the brokage...
and then it is usually a mystery (to me) what the problem is and how to fix it.

This Week-end I tried to through a big virtual box at the problem: 24
core, 32GB under kvm (on a host that has 48 core/96GB ram)
the kvm process has consumed 4332 minutes-cpu so far... (yeah, not  a
typo:  3cpu-day) and tail_build is in writerfilter....

so I reduced the box to 4 process 4 GB... and it run... faster...
well... less slow.

and after hours and hours I get 'dxsdkver.h No such file or directory ...
so apparently the directx sdk was not found... and only now do i get an error ?

anyway... just taking the occasion to vent a bit...

Norbert