offapi again builds faster; user of gb_Deliver_deliver responsible for the directory

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:43:03 PST 2012

On 6 March 2012 11:55, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
>        I guess the other big win there to get the time down to seconds would
> be to get idlc/'s idlcpp to compile lots of these IDL files at once.

Not really. On Linux this may be true but with cygwin processing idl
files is not the main issue.
If you look what is happening in *api, make is:
1, touching .d files
2, processing .idl files
3, again touching .d files
4, creating .rdb files and something else maybe
5, copying .idl .hpp .hdl files to solver

On cygwin, most of the time takes 5, and touching files is also slow.
The real work there in 2, and 4, is +-fast and you won't save much by
making it faster.

> That is assuming that some large chunk of the overhead on windows comes
> from several thousand invocations of the same small tool :-)

This seems to be true but idlc is called less than touch and much less than cp.
So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files from
the same directory.

>        Would that interest you Matus ? or should I file an easy hack ?

No. You can file an easy hack, but do not expect big difference.

Maybe you could file an easy hack for improving gbuild's Package.mk,
so that we would copy all files to the same directory at once.
It would be great, I think, to have some other person who would
understand our makefiles,
but I don't know how easy that is. It takes time first but then I
think it's easy.
Should be possible to make the directory in solver depend on files we
want to copy there and create rule for that.

Best,
Matus