GNU make version

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 6 09:12:56 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 19:08 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> Don't see why we shouldn't maintain our own patched copy of gmake the
> same way we maintain patched copies of other components.

	There was a long discussion about this at the ESC :-) and I disagree
with the decision, am still suffering slower builds from it on all my
machines, but don't much feel like re-opening it personally.

	We currently have an improved / patched version of gnumake here:

	http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/dev-tools/

	Which has the speedup patch, and Norbert's nice debugging code etc.
unfortunately it is extremely non-trivial to get that to automatically
work as part of the build.

	Personally, I'd be thrilled to have a '--with-internal-gmake' configure
option that would download, build, locally install and setup the paths
to use an internal, faster gnumake - so I could just add it to my
autogen.lastrun's -and- IIRC that'd be ok by what we decided last on the
topic too.

	Volunteers for that appreciated :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.