offapi again builds faster; user of gb_Deliver_deliver responsible for the directory

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 10:54:44 PST 2012

On 06/03/12 16:13, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 12:43 +0100, Matúš Kukan wrote:
>> On 6 March 2012 11:55, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
>>>        I guess the other big win there to get the time down to seconds would
>>> be to get idlc/'s idlcpp to compile lots of these IDL files at once.

>> On cygwin, most of the time takes 5, and touching files is also slow.
>> The real work there in 2, and 4, is +-fast and you won't save much by
>> making it faster.

forking processes and filesystem are slow on cygwin, we knew that
already, but good to have some numbers for it :)

>> This seems to be true but idlc is called less than touch and much less than cp.
>> So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files from
>> the same directory.
>
> 	Sounds sensible :-)

yes.  there is already some weird code to group files with an extra
parameter, perhaps that could be re-used, i don't know why that was
introduced (by Ause iirc), perhaps because appending to the variables
didn't scale well once the number of files got really large?

> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 14:10 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>> So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files
>>> from the same directory.
>>
>> As we de facto are requiring to use our own fork of Make anyway
>> (aren't we?).
>
> 	Not really, though we have a copy of a recent cvs version around it is
> deliberately hard to build & use, the sad thing is gnumake is maintained
> in cvs & releases rather infrequently ;-(

indeed gbuild should work on 3.81 with the fix for bug 20033, or 3.82
(works but is a little slow, or extremely slow on cygwin).

>> couldn't we add "touch", "mkdir" and "cp" functions to
>> Make? Implementing those should be fairly trivial.
>
> 	Would be lovely, would be even better to get them up-stream.

the first thing i'd like to see added to make is a function to create a
response file that is automatically deleted (a feature that dmake has),
to get rid of the (necessarily) horrible Tempfile.mk.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2011-04/msg00047.html