Q: Is this project of some interest?

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 11:00:48 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Riccardo Bernardini
<framefritti at gmail.com> wrote:

> This feature is my "personal itch" since I would actually use to write

that is usually the best motivation to achieve anything in opensource :-)

> "many-hands" documents together with colleagues. Moreover, it would be
> an important feature of LibreOffice, not shared by other editing
> solutions.

[...]
> 1.  Are you aware if this type of capability is already available (I
> do not think so) or currently developed?

Not that I'm aware of... but I've recall seeing some discussion of
people on the ML itching a similar topic (i.e how to store document in
a git-friendly manner, altough IIRc that was not for 'sharing per say,
but simply for the change-tradcking aspect)

> 2. Has the LibreOffice community some interest in this idea?  If it
> has, this would give us a stronger motivation.

The 'LibreOffice community', just like most, rarely has a single mind.
But in the end the question is not 'are you for it', but 'is there a
showstopper that would make you against it'

> 3. Do you have some general suggestions for us?  Especially about
> interfacing the rest of the developers.

My suggestion woud be: do as you would for any open source community:
show-up, do some work, get yourself known for your work
Lead by example to attract people that will find your itch something
they are interested i... and code is much more convincing than talk.
Engage on this ML, on IRC, read the relevant part of the Wiki, get
familiar with the build process by doing some easy hacks...
The Dev Community is pretty welcoming to new dev of any level and skill.

On a higher level, smaller incremental changes are easier to get in
than big-bad dump. so try to break-down you itch in manage-ably small
feature, preferably that do not break things :-) and get them in one
at the time... or instance working on improving, if need be, the
'uncompressed/flat' odf format... then saving directly in a git repo
(with commit and all), then managing git conflict-resolution, then
managing push/pull... (this is just an example based on your
description.. I have no idea what the real technical/functional hurdle
are...)

Norbert