performance enhancements for cygwin make

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Mar 8 04:25:36 PST 2012

Hi Noel,

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 11:11 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> yeah, I'm working on the version from the dev-tools/make-3.82-gbuild
> repository

	Nice :-)

> > properly beside the 'call touch as an inline' thing does not need to
> > be windows specific.
>
> I've coded 2 variants, one general purpose and one specific to windows.
> Because
> (a) on Windows, I can implement "touch" using exactly one system call,

	Heh - systemcalls are ~free compared to forking I think - as Norbert
says I think you may end up with path problems.

> (b) and because it's practice for some of the other optimisations I'd
> like to do :-)

	Fun :-)

> True, which is why I coded the general purpose variant (largely borrowed
> from GNU touch)

	Incidentally, there is a remake.c (touch_file) method there already, I
guess if we split the innards of that out and re-used them then we'd at
least have this working for all the super-odd operating systems that
make supports: AIX, Amiga etc. ;-) prolly more likely to go up-stream
like that.

	I'm encouraged by Tor's 'file' find as well I guess.

	All the best,

		Michael.