About Strings

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Mar 19 09:42:37 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 15:05 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> hmm... what i'd really like from a string class is that it has no
> operator[] at all (who needs that anyway), just an iterator interface
> that returns characters as uint32_t

	I'm personally somewhat skeptical that, even at a uint32_t level,
dissecting strings outside of the ASCII range is that meaningful. A
non-programmatic ASCII string is a binary blob that requires
heavy-lifting to do almost any operation on it: measuring it, rendering
it, moving through it in any sensible way etc.

	Of course, perhaps I'm wrong - are there some nice examples of
operator[] being used for anything that is not ascii related outside of
that very heavy lifting code ? ;-)

	ATB,

		Michael.