Unused code patches

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 00:48:25 PDT 2012

On 03/19/2012 09:26 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 19 of March 2012, David T. Biedrzycki wrote:
>> There are *many* methods that have already been
>> removed that are still listed. If we are missing something, please let us
>> know, otherwise, we have been working on, and have almost finished,
>> automating a process to remove methods from that file that no longer exist
>> in the source.
>
>   That will not work reliably, unless your process also verifies that they are
> really unused in all configurations. The list is generated from one
> configuration and a manual check is needed that each item is indeed unused.

I think you are talking past each other here.  David asked about
functions listed in unusedcode.easy that are no longer existing in the
code base, while Lubos warned against automatically removing functions
from the code that are listed in unusedcode.easy.

David, unusedcode.easy is generated afresh rather regularly by Caolan,
so should not be too outdated (but there indeed was lots of activity
around removing unused code recently, IIRC) -- you can look into its git
log to find out how old it currently is.

Stephan