[LibreOffice] svg export filter

Marco Cecchetti mrcekets at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 06:03:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:07:38 +0100, Thorsten Behrens
<thb at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> Marco Cecchetti wrote:
>> I am evaluating the possibility of participating to GSoC again
>> this year. I would like to know if there is interest from your
>> side (LibreOffice's side) that I write a proposal to complete
>> the project for the svg export filter on which I worked last GSoC.
>> The main goals would be:
>>
>> 1) Complete the port of the animation engine, so that we have
>>      slide transition working and more effects.
>>
>> 2) Modify the way text is exported, for enabling text animations,
>>      and maybe text searching.
>>
>> Such tasks need to be more detailed, however they should be enough
>> for a GSoC project.
>>

> nice, yes, absolutely! We love returning students, and if we can
> align this with what the mozilla guys needed, the better.

Yep, that would be a good point. Even if they are more interested
in an HTML5 solution, reworking text export feature will be a step
forward their requirements.

> A few more nice things one could add:
>  - use svg native gradients whereever possible

That would be nice, in the end it is a question of how long will
take the two main goals

>  - embed the real svg graphic, for svg images

I think this one should be enough simple to implement.

>  - as you said, check if/when to use native svg text, instead of
>    glyh-by-glyph placements

So we agreed, glyh-by-glyph placement should be used only when
it is mandatory (e.g. text animations that apply on any single
character of a text string).

Cheers,
-- Marco