Excessive exception size cost ...

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 08:07:58 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 15:21 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> I assume you're compiling -Os ? (if so, it's another nail in the x86_64
> story I guess).

The defaults for LibO are -Os for ia32 and -O2 for ia64 (and most other
gcc targets), IIRC we fell over and died with -Os back in the early days
of the x86_64 port so left it as -O2 since. Though likely the bug was
with us and not gcc and probably fixed along somewhere along the way
either way. Milage varies, now that I think about it I have
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
additional flags in my env over the defaults.

> 	Well, we force page them in as we launch LibreOffice

Thoughts of debuginfo-style extraction of the sections to a compressed
external file and read them in on first-exception comes to mind :-)

C.