Providing a mysql connector extension on Linux that works independently of system mysql library versions - a pipe dream ?

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Sat Mar 31 12:54:54 PDT 2012

> I meant them too. Look what make install does - it runs ooinstall
> which runs
> make_installer.pl _because_ you need stuff it does (paths, getting
> what goes
> where "package"-wise etc).

No, no, we're talking about different things. The scripts you mentioned
are part of the 'make install' process. This is part of the build process.

I was talking about the deployment. Thinks like some big-fat install.exe
or install.sh containing all the binaries and other files, copying them
to the system, so the user can execute the application. That's what I
call completely stupid, as those are the things a package management
system is for.

cu