On SSL library support

Patrick McCarty patrick.mccarty at linux.intel.com
Thu May 3 17:30:00 PDT 2012

Hello,

Due to a license conflict with a project I was working on, I had the
task of building LibreOffice without OpenSSL support.

To accomplish this, I replaced the relevant code from the OOX module
that uses the OpenSSL API (from oox/source/core/filterdetect.cxx) to use
the NSS API instead, and made some makefile adjustments to get things
compiling and linking properly.  The other system dependencies of
LibreOffice that use OpenSSL by default were compiled to use NSS or
GnuTLS instead (e.g. curl, neon, and gnome-vfs2), so I didn't have to
worry about any "indirect" dependencies on OpenSSL.

I realize that a more appropriate solution would be to conditionally
compile the two code paths using WITH_OPENSSL and WITH_NSS after adding
configure flags (--with-openssl and --with-nss) so that packagers can
select the preferred SSL library.

Is there any interest in adding this type of multiple/fallback SSL
library support to LibreOffice?

Thanks,
Patrick