ODF proposal for <number:fill-character> element (was: support for repeating format code in calc)

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Wed May 9 11:53:48 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday, 2012-04-24 21:31:41 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:

> Given that I think we'd need a number:fill-character or some such
> attribute to go with
> 16.27 Data Styles
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cs01/OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-part1.html#__RefHeading__1416346_253892949
> with the limitation that it can be present only once (if that is what
> Excel does) and specyfing what happens in these three conditions.

Taking
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/How_to_propose_a_change_or_addition_to_ODF
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ProposalTemplate
here is what I could come up with.

Noel, Kohei: did I miss anything? Is that what Excel does, specifically
the adjustment described? All <number:*-style> elements covered where it
can occur?

Thorsten: if fine could you then please submit that to the TC, create
a JIRA issue and whatever is required? Thanks.

---%<---snip---%<---

Proposal owner:
Thorsten Behrens

Proposal short name:
<number:fill-character> element for data styles

Rationale
~~~~~~~~~

Use cases:
For interoperability with other spreadsheet implementations an
additional attribute is needed to specify a fill character used to fill
space between grid border and content, or separating two parts of
a displayed value string and filling in with the character.

Alternatives considered:
None.

Requested changes to the ODF Standard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Text changes/additions:
In section
16.27 Data Styles
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cs01/OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-part1.html#__RefHeading__1416346_253892949
add:

<number:fill-character>
The content of this element specifies a Unicode character that is
displayed repeatedly at the position where it occurs.

There are three possible positions for this element, resulting in
display strings as follows:
* Start of style:
  * Right adjusts the display string and fills available space with the
    character specified from the left cell grid border up to the display
    string.
* End of style:
  * Left adjusts the display string and fills available space with the
    character specified from the display string up to the right cell
    grid border.
* Within style:
  * Splits the display string in two at the position where the element
    occurs, first part becomes left justified, second part becomes right
    justified, the available space in between is filled with the
    character specified.

The <number:fill-character> element is usable within the following
elements:
[these lists are generated from the schema IIRC]
<number:number-style> <number:currency-style> <number:percentage-style>
<number:date-style> <number:time-style> <number:text-style>

[and list the <number:fill-character> element as a child element of each
of those]

Schema changes/additions:

New element:
    <define name="number-fill-character">
        <element name="number:fill-character">
            <text/>
        </element>
    </define>

Add to each
    <element name="number:number-style">
    <element name="number:currency-style">
    <element name="number:percentage-style">
    <element name="number:date-style">
    <element name="number:time-style">
    <element name="number:text-style">

this
    <optional>
        <ref name="number-fill-character"/>
    </optional>

Impacts
~~~~~~~

Conformance:
A processor may ignore this element, for example if there is no cell
grid available or in data processing.

Backwards compatibility:
This element was not available in previous versions and is optional.
Existing ODF processors may ignore it.

Accessibility impact:
None.

Hopefully that does it..

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD