[PUSHED][3-5] Re: [REVIEW 3-5] fdo#37044 crash on mac with transliteration

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu May 10 03:39:43 PDT 2012

On 10/05/12 12:24, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 10/05/12 12:18, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>> always amazing at how native linkers on the various platforms find new
>>> and different ways to completely screw things up.
>>
>> Isn't this more a case of it just working by accident on ELF and
>> Windows platforms?
>
> to some extent yes (in that if you have a default global namespace like
> ELF pretty much anything works only by accident :), but really why does
> the function end up being exported from the editeng shared object so
> that sw can call it?  don't we use default hidden visibility on Mac
> platform?

it seems we don't in gbuild; solenv/gbuild/platform/unxgcc.mk sets
-fvisibility=hidden but that file isn't used on Mac.

apparently 92f70c7e11136ca6d4dba529183f20f99d2d0cd2 removed it.

while in dmake it was based off of this, where i don't know if it's true
on Apple GCC:

.IF "$(COMNAME)" == "gcc3" && "$(HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY_FEATURE)" == "TRUE"

somebody with a Mac should find out whether HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY_FEATURE
is true there, and if yes, what happens when you add the flag to
solenv/gbuild/platform/unxmacosx.mk.