cygwin problem in building in deep directories

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon May 14 07:06:31 PDT 2012

On Monday 14 of May 2012, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On 2012-05-14 15:33, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > It shouldn't be make, when I built a small testapp that just printed
> > out its argv[], everything looked ok to me. To me it looks like the
> > limit is there either when converting args between cygwin and pure-MS
> > apps (or whatever it is that happens at that point), or in MSVC.
> > Still, not much we can do about it, I think.
>
> OK, so that's good to know. In that case the bug is more than likely in
> MSVC and the only thing we could do is to pass in the parameters using a
> command-response file.
> In the meantime I'll find a rough limit on how deep it can handle and we
> can build that into configure.

 I don't think we can. The options passed by make are things
like -I$W/foo -I$S/bar , but the limit presumably applies only after this is
expanded, so we don't easily know what the real length is. Also, as soon as
somebody adds some -I somewhere, the limit may be off again.

 Configure could possibly warn that anything longer than 30 characters is
unsafe, but that would be just a rough guess, and the wiki page about Windows
build already warns about it. I've added more info to the wiki page, but I
don't think a configure check that tries to guess it helps much - either the
limit will be quite low, or it may easily miss in the future.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz