--enable-debug vs --enable-symbols (Re: [Libreoffice-commits] .: 12 commits - config_host.mk.in configure.in filter/source oox/source sal/inc sc/source solenv/gbuild toolkit/source xmlhelp/source)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed May 16 06:48:45 PDT 2012

On 05/16/2012 03:09 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>   Now --enable-debug=-sc/ means that sc/ is built without -g and with -O2. In
> other words, the compiler spends extra time working on code I don't care
> about at all. There was a reason why OPT flags was empty in --enable-debug
> build - as soon as I do a developer build, I don't want the compiler to
> optimize any code, anywhere, unless explicitly told so.

As code is traditionally known to occasionally behave differently for
different -O levels, I'm fine with my personal builds by default using
the same -O2 as production builds.

Re "unless explicitly told so"---how is one supposed to tell the build
system?

(Or am I confusing what you want to say, and the part of your paragraph
starting "as soon as" shall only apply in the context of explicit
--enable-debug=-sc/?  Likely.)

Stephan